Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Bishop Frank Caggiano's Retreat for "Rosary for Life"

I attended a retreat day given by Bishop Frank Caggiano (Bishop of Bridgeport) for "Rosary for Life" on Saturday at Good Shepherd Parish in Marine Park, Brooklyn. Bishop Frank was born and raised just a few miles from Good Shepherd Parish,  he is a native Brooklynite.  It was a good day for Brooklyn. At the other end of Brooklyn 13 men were ordained to the priesthood in the newly consecrated Co-Cathedral of St. Joseph, which is located in the Prospect Heights neighborhood.  During Mass, at the retreat,  which was celebrated by Bishop Frank, we prayed for the newly ordained. Good things were happening all over Brooklyn on June 28th, the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary!
 The Rosary for Life retreat was organized by Wyn Powers and when I read about it in The Tablet, I called to register. I know that Bishop Frank is an excellent speaker and I was eager to hear his talks.
There were about 100 participants and we were not disappointed. A highlight of the day was when Bishop Frank shared with us a special gift he was given that day, by a very generous lady, Gail Frohlinger. It was a magnificent needlepoint of his Coat of Arms. It was all done by hand with beads and she said that she said a prayer for him with each bead that was put on the work. Quite amazing! I regretted afterwards not taking a picture of him holding it, which others did.
Bishop Frank talked about "The Joy of the Gospel," and how true joy comes from knowing Jesus. Faith of course is a divine gift but it is our response that is so important. He quoted from a Scripture and we discussed its importance-Revelation 3:20. " Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door then I will enter his house and dine with him and he with me." Bishop said that he thought that verse was the key to the door of faith. We also spoke about the problems in the modern world which interfer with faith, such as secularism, busyness, technology and other distractions. One man shared that he was discouraged by it all. But in responding most of us said, the Bishop included,  that we have to have hope for the future. I raised my hand and shared one of my favorite quotes on faith, "Hope is not an option for a Christian but it is essential to our faith."
It was a spirit-filled day, all over Brooklyn, one filled with hope and God's abundant blessings. NJA